I’m looking to help patients share their story with others through my new book. This book is aimed at the chronic illness patient community and will tackle subjects like career, sex and relationships, self-esteem and support systems.
It ain’t always pretty–but if you’ve trudged through the trenches, you know should know there’s usually somebody kicking up the same mud right behind you.
Share your advice, your mistakes. Tell us where to go when we hit the wall.
- Please send your responses to IlanaWrites@gmail.com with your name, age, and city. If your story is published, you can choose whether or not to be anonymous! The important thing is to be authentic.
- Please send responses that are NO LONGER than four paragraphs. Try to focus your responses on the message that you feel would help a patient in a similar scenario most.
On the Topics of Beauty/Self-Esteem and Sex
- How do you handle sex when self-conscious about surgical scars or implanted medical devices like ostomy bags, PICC lines or insulin pumps?
- What has helped you overcome some of your self-consciousness due to these scars or devices? (Therapy, talking with friends, covering things up?)
- What advice do you have for other patients who feel self-conscious about their visual, physical medical issues?
- Do you have a beauty inspiration? Who and why?
- Did your doctor or nurse ever give you any advice on how to handle social situations where your medical devices might be visible?
On the Topic of Support
- Have you ever been to a support group for your disease or for chronic illness in general? What was your experience?
- Do you feel like support groups are right for all patients?
- What makes a support group a good one? What makes for a bad support group?
- How did your perspective on life with chronic illness change after a support group?
- Did you ever have a friend, coworker, family member or romantic partner with a similar disease that changed your perspective on living with chronic illness?
- Should doctors and hospitals be responsible for providing support? Should insurance companies? Should schools?
- What books, stories, radio shows or TV shows have served as a source of support for you through your disease journey?
On the Topic of Independence
- Looking for people to share brief moments of celebration when they overcame a hurtle after a bad flare. Can be something as similar as grocery shopping along for the first time in months or as serious as heading back to school or work full time.
Posting this on Nov 3rd, my deadline is the first week of December. If you’ve been interested in contributing but didn’t know where to start–start here! All responses are appreciated! Please send responses to IlanaWrites@gmail.com with your name, age, and city!
Powered by Facebook Comments